Monday, March 29, 2010

Name Change

Ever since I was in high school I knew that my first son would be named Carter. I have always loved that name. Even if it does mean Cart Driver. It's a family name that goes way back on my dad's side of the family and is also my dad's middle name. I wanted each of my children to have a family name whether it be first or middle. Luckily the man I married liked the name Carter as well. So our first born son was named Carter Alexander. Carter after my dad and Alexander after Benjamin Jerry Alexander. Yes my husband has four names and NO I wasn't going to do that to my kids.

Ok, enough back story. So Carter comes home the other day from school and this was the conversation...
Carter: "mom I'm going to change my name."
Mom: "What! No! I love your name! Why in the world would you say such a thing!"
Carter: "because people who don't know me call me "quarter" NOT Carter!"

As I try to hold back my giggles I tell him that they are saying Carter, but just in a lazy way. He said No mom, they are calling me quarter like the coin, you know the circle money. What makes this so funny is that Caden who has the sweetest little voice calls his brother "quarter" and always has. I guess he doesn't really notice it since that is the way he has always said it. I even tried to get it on video so I could post, but couldn't ever catch the right moment. When you ask Caden and he thinks about it he will say Carter, but you ever get Caden frustrated at his brother then you hear...QUARTEEERRR....

Carter fixed the prob. though. He just decided he would change his name. When I picked him up from class last night at Brook Hills this is what I saw on his name tag.



Yep, He decided he would change his name to Tom. He said he wanted something simple & short. So Tom it is.
Side note - we had a little drinking prob. that resulted to water all over our shirt as well.

As funny as this is to me I did find out tonight at bedtime that this is a serious issue in the life of my 6 year old. Tears fell as he really feels some at school are making fun of his name. So if you ever see my little guy make sure you pronounce every syllable of his name clearly. And don't let him talk you into calling him Tom. I assure you he may try!

2 comments:

  1. Awwwww, Tom it is. Or, I will work really hard on CAR-TER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete