Saturday, April 10, 2010

Doggy Love

I absolutely love dogs. We'll, maybe I should say I used to. When Ben and I were dating he bought me a Boxer for Valentine's. 12 years ago! Wow how time flies. Our 10 year anniversary is this year!
Ok, back to dogs...I had always wanted an English Bulldog, but at the time a Boxer was what he could find & afford. I loved that dog! He was my baby. I think he honestly annoyed the poo out of everyone else in my family, but he was still my baby. He was 85 pounds before we knew it and he thought he was only 10 lbs. As he loved to sit in my lap :)



Meet Riley Jo Boxer DeLoach - his official registered name



Riley was there for most of Ben & I's milestones together. Our engagement, wedding, move to KY, birth of both our sons, & move back to Bama. I could write so much about this dog, but I will refrain. When I was preg. with our third child, I decided it was too much. I just couldn't handle three kids, a husband (smiles), and a dog. I was also working at the time. So we found a good home for Riley and parted ways. This was 2007.

Summer of '09 Ben called me up and said he had a once in a lifetime offer. Ok, I braced myself for it....he had an offer for a FREE English Bulldog! How could we pass this up?! The kids were older now, the backyard was fenced, how could I say no?
So I introduce to you Boss. He was already about 4 months old and his name had been given.





My thought that having a dog again would be ok was wrong! He was already potty trained, but the slobber, drool, digging in the dirt & then tracking it inside....nope momma wasn't ready for a dog again. Fortunately we have a good friend up the street who had jokingly mentioned when we received Boss that if we ever wanted to give him away he would be willing to give him a good home. Around Christmas we gave our friend a call :) Boss was now a Christmas morning gift to two young children who still love him dearly!
Boss did accomplish one great thing at the DeLoach household, Isabel is no longer afraid of dogs. Something we didn't realize before we got Boss, but something she overcame before he left.

All three kids were very upset that mom & dad had given Boss away, but don't worry. I told them they could have another pet. Just one that mom picked out!

I would like you to meet Gracie.



Can you find her?



Let me help.



I absolutely love this turtle! She sits on our kitchen counter by the sink. Which I tend to stand by often either cooking or doing dishes. So Gracie & I have become good friends. Turtles have much more personality than I ever could imagine. She moves her head up and down like she really understands what I'm saying. The only requirement she has is that her home be cleaned every few days & that she is feed daily. Mom can handle that!
Oh, how do we know it's a girl turtle you ask? I asked the kids that same question....the house has a pink top, so it has to be a girl!

I still like dogs, just not living in my house. Maybe when the kids are older....maybe!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Boss is no longer with you guys.... and that Riley was just precious (but I'm slightly biased toward Boxers). Love your new pet though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! BOSS! You forgot to mention the barking ;)

    ReplyDelete