Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting the kids involved

Even though we are still living in Gardendale this past week the 5 of us DeLoach's have been in East Lake serving during the day. I am always looking for ways to take the kids with us to serve and this week was a great opportunity. World Changers had brought three groups of kids in from Georgia to fix a house in East Lake, so we had the honor of feeding lunch to around 40 teenagers each day.

We took one trip to Costco and were pretty much set for the week. 5 boxes of chips, 5 cases of bottled water, 2 boxes of cookies / rice crispy squares, 4 containers of powdered Gatorade, hamburger meat, turkey & ham as well as a box full of hamburger buns and a box of bread. As well as all the condiments, baby wipes & hand sanitizer. For some reason I absolutely love to buy in bulk - I guess I think I'm getting a better deal, so this shopping trip made my heart jump for joy.

We kept the menu simple with hamburgers, sandwiches and per the teenagers request pizza. I couldn't believe they wanted pizza as hot as it was outside, but they are teenagers.



Carter was great help tearing the lettuce for the burgers & sandwiches.



Unfortunately I forgot my camera every day. I had every good intention of taking pictures of the teenagers from GA, our kids interacting with the teens, the work they were doing and just how miserably hot everyone was from being outside all day. In the mornings I was so concerned with forgetting something for the kids (teens and my own) that I would always forget to get my camera from upstairs.
It was very encouraging (and a great witness to my three kiddos) to see how thankful & happy all the teenagers were even though they were miserably hot. The week started out with my three complaining that it was oh SO hot outside and they were ready to go as quickly as we got there, but as they saw the teens working on the roof and around the house and not complaining, my three stopped as well. So here's a shout out to all you teens who did an excellent job this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment